Friday, November 11, 2016

Motherhood: A few stories of happiness

Day 1 Motherhood Challenge

This picture was taken at ESTEC Open Day 2016

He always loves machines and inspect how its works, no matter it's a bus, train, tram, bus, and...rocket. Can you imagine his face when we came to this exhibition then?
He paid close attention to those vulcain rocket engines, and then said to me, "Mother, now I know how this thing was build, I can make something like this, it's a piece of cake". Well said, little guy...


For this little guy who hates math and has dream as a rocket engineer, I just remember my past. Don't worry, Son. Your mother also hates math and I was despised by people around me because my dream is too high for a very normal girl. And, here I am, study engineering in Netherlands.
*My rank at 3rd year of elementary school was 16 from 40 if I remember it correctly hahaha...

Just go for your dream!
I will always support you, even your seem-impossible-dreams


Day 2 Motherhood Challenge

This picture was taken at Indonesian independence celebration by PPI Delft, 10 September 2016

After my little guy won first round of 'balap kelereng' (marble-on-spoon race) with his friends, he had to face tough opponents from older people. When the event organizer said that he will get privileges because of his age, he shook his head, NO. And, yes, unfortunately he didn't win.

What surprise me was after he finished the race. He came to me and asked why he will be given privileges. My answer was that because he's the only kid participant. He saw me and confused. Oh okay, I knew why he's confused. He's never see himself as a kid.

This little guy hates people who treat him as a kid. But, he's temperamental and easy to cry. Hmmm... who doesn't? Then, who is the adult? Can I distinguish adult only from age? How can I know if somebody is really adult?

Day 3 Motherhood Challenge

Looking back to 17 January 2016 at Junior Original Concert Yamaha Premier, Jakarta

He played his own piano composition in this concert, meanwhile his mother was overseas and no one at home was able to understand piano. Moreover, after this concert, he was scheduled for a flight to Netherlands, move to a new place faraway from home. It was such a hardship for 7 years old boy. But he said to me, "It's okay, I can do this."

I remembered when he was 2 years old and I offered him to learn piano. He cried in his first class, but he wants to continue learning piano. He was amazed with a grand piano which displayed in the music shop, "I want to play that big piano, Mother."

Sometimes his fingers makes move like pressing piano keys, humming some songs, then he's smiling. I never know what you will become in the future. As long as you're happy, I think I wouldn't mind.

Day 4 Motherhood Challenge


My son revisit playground Linnaeushof, Bennebroek, after a couple of times begging me to go. He already went there with his schoolmates last summer. I wonder why he insisted to revisit this playground.

Almost all of the playground equipment are human powered hahaha... Sounds creepy? This is fun! My son can climbing, running, pedalling, jumping, sliding, swimming,..., all that motoric activities he loves so much.

The bad side of this playground: Mother also got muscles, I'm exhausted...


Wish some playgrounds in Indonesia have design like this, instead of using that dull-dangerous-inefficient-sophisticated equipment.

Day 5 Motherhood Challenge


First, let me introduces her, she is my grandmother, which means she is great-grandmother of my son. Alhamdulillah, she is healthy in her age and capable to do everything by herself, including traveling.
*shame on you, youngsters who never travel faraway from home*


My son never really understand this age gap because she is too active for her age, particularly for the standard of that age in my country. So, he is often demands her to do a lot of activities that need strength to accompany him play. He always said, "No, you're still young, Oma! Even your hair is still not yet all white". He doesn't like to call her as great-grandmother.
*Oma = grandmother (Dutch)

Well, this first and fourth generation seems to be in a good relationship. My son helps her in the kitchen. They speak dutch and mock me because I do not understand it. Poor me...

Day 6 Motherhood Challenge

Today is 9 months after he enrolled into Dutch school. And today also his first school day after one week of autumn holiday.

Unlike how he hates his previous school lesson in my country, he loves to study here. The lesson taught thematically. Each week have it's own theme. But, it's a very flexible and dynamic lesson, not textbook-oriented, uhm wait... I never see my son holds even one textbook.

Yes, I knew people always asked the same question, "What language does he use in school?". Of course, it's Dutch. I can't afford to enroll him into international school nearby which use english because it's extremely expensive (Dutch schools are free). Then the next question, "Is it too much for him?". He enjoys it and proud of his 'Nederlandse praten'.

Don't spoil your kids too much. We know that kids are fast learner and need challenges to grow.
Day 7 Motherhood Challenge

Home sweet home *english
Oost west thuis best *dutch
Hujan emas di negara orang, lebih baik hujan batu di negeri sendiri *indonesian/malay

The last status about my motherhood challenge is about our home. This picture is our home in Delft and its surrounding. You can say that it is antique, old, fortress-looks-like, hahaha... for Dutch and Indonesian this 'house' has deep historical value. It was the warehouse of VOC (Vereenigde Oost-Indische Compagnie=Dutch East India Company) who was the first multinational corporation in the world that establish colonies around the world, one of them was in Indonesia. Yeah, it's intriguing when your ex-enemy becomes your sponsor for study here (it's not from my government) and placed in this ex-VOC building for living. I will not continue with historical story here since it can be a loooong debate.

I just want to tell you a story about my son's perspective about Netherlands. He loves this country, but also missed things in my country. What he missed are his family, his friends, and motorcycle. It's really true that family and friends are where our home is.
*We're going around Delft by bike, and sometimes it's too far and he's complaining about how easier it is to go around by motorcycle.

After travelling outside Netherlands, this city feels like home. It feels so convenient here. The people are more welcoming than other countries that I've visited and they're better at speaking english. One thing about Dutch people is their mood sway depend on the weather hahaha... In warm sunny days, people chat noisy everywhere and greet other people with wide smile. The opposite happen in rainy, cold, and dark cloudy days. Gloomy people everywhere and suddenly silent city. My son noticed this change when sunny days came after winter and our tram suddenly became so noisy.

Well, not for long we're here. Next year, we have go back to reality in my country. Not sure how my family and I myself can re-adapt. I trust my son can do well because he did great for adapting here. And surely, we'll miss this place.

NB tips berkendara di Belanda:
Kalau di Indonesia harus hati-hati sama emak-emak naik motor matik nyalain sen ke kanan beloknya ke kiri yang kalau diklakson malah berhenti, disini harus hati-hati sama emak-emak naik sepeda pendek (buat anak-anak) yang jalan lambat terus suka ngerem mendadak soalnya kita disini ngga lulus diploma naik sepeda kayak anak Belanda tapi karena terpaksa harus bisa soalnya transport mahal *maap curcol

No comments: